Monday, March 16, 2015

Master

Master by Toni Sorenson

Alright, so usually I try not to bring religion into my reviews. I am a Mormon, and I love to talk about my religion, but Good or Goodbye is for anyone. No matter what religion you are, Good or Goodbye should be helpful to you in finding good, moral books and good products. BUTTT I recently read this book called Master, and couldn't NOT review it. Master is amazing for all Christians.

Almon is a young boy who lives with his father. They travel all over the deserts and cities, selling Almon as a slave and then stealing him back to earn a (stolen) profit. But one day, they come across bandits in the desert. Dangerous bandits. After killing Almon's father and leaving Almon alone to die, Almon awakes to find himself in the care of a small family. Joseph, Mary, and baby Jesus. As Almon travels back to the Joseph's  home, and starts to get to know the family, he decides he will stay as their slave. That is the best he could possibly hope for considering he is mute. However, the longer he is with Joseph, Mary, and Jesus the more he loves each member of his new family. When Joseph lays on his deathbed, he gives Almon a special job: watch over Jesus. Almon has always loved and silently followed Jesus, so this request was easy for him. Almon watches Jesus grow older and older and travels with him through many different cities, healing the sick, raising the dead, and creating so many miracles. He even forfeits marriage to follow Jesus. But when people start wanting to harm Jesus, what can he do for his Master.

Obviously Master is historical fiction. Almon is not a real person. However Jesus is. Master is fiction, yes, but the words and miracles in it, are real. I loved Master so much. It gave me a much better understanding of the Savior. It gave me a better picture of his life. Also who doesn't love a character that you can fall in love with who is real? I mean come on! It doesn't get better than that! I really really loved Master and I know you will too!

Rate: PG/PG13
   Totally clean language-wise, but has a little violence
GOOD OR GOODBYE?
   Definitely GOOD



1 comment: