Friday, May 8, 2015

The Book Thief

The Book Thief by Markus Zusak

Last night I finished The Book Thief and again am struggling. The story line was great, and a totally original idea.... but there was so much cussing. Honestly other than that, this was a totally clean book. It just had so so much cussing...

Liesel was abandoned. Her mother left her in the hands of Rosa and Hans Hubermann, Liesel's new foster parents. Nazi Germany is fighting in World War 2, jews are in concentration camps, bombing raids, rations are small, life is tough. Liesel finds something though that makes her life have meaning....words. Words from books. They seem to be her only comfort in life. But she only has one, so she steals. With her new parents, bestfriend Rudy, and the jew hidden in her basement, Liesel learns the power that words have.

I really enjoyed this book. It did start out kinda boring, but it was just so powerful. And I have to admit... I did cry at the end ;) There was one other thing that bothered me besides the cussing. That was the narrator. Liesel wasn't the one telling the story. Death was. Yes, you heard me right... Death! Because of this little fun fact, it made the book wayyyyy more confusing than it could have been. But once you got used to it, it wasn't a big deal at all!! :) Okay, so I'm going on and on about how I liked it.... and yet I am rating it Goodbye! I'm sorry guys. But I really can't recommend this one. It literally has so many cuss words. When I create my own company to change the bad words in books to clean words.... this will be one of the first ones edited so I can freely recommend! But until then... I can't recommend & still be cool with my conscience.
Rate: PG13 (R for amount of Language)
     LOTS of cussing
GOOD OR GOODBYE?
    Goodbye, sadly...



No comments:

Post a Comment